My Freedom of Speech


~*~*~*~ SEE NO EVIL, HEAR NO EVIL, SPEAK NO EVIL!! THEN AGAIN, WHO EXACTLY DEFINES WHAT 'EVIL' IS?! ~*~*~*~
 

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Azzurri Obsession!

I'm still utterly shocked and absolutely overjoyed with Italy's World Cup achievement!!! You don't understand, I'm a die hard Italian fan! My grandmother is Italian, so it's in my blood.. From the beginning of the World Cup, I've been hearing the whole Italy this, Italy that crap... I'm gonna analyze Italia's performances in its 7 games towards glory:

Game 1: Italy vs. Ghana
Italy's first game in the 2006 World Cup... Italy have had a history of starting off slow in World Cup group stages and this game gave an impression that it would be no different... Although Italy came out 2-0 winners, it was hardly an easy match... Ghana put up a good fight, and people already were doubting Italy, saying that they weren't good enough! What they failed to realize is the following:
  • Totti (Supposedly, Italy's equivalent of Ronaldinho if u may) wasn't fully fit as he had just returned from a broken leg...
  • Ghana were seen as a weak team at the start... Looking back now, 2-0 over Ghana is a marvelous result. They proved to the world that they're a very tough team...

Game 2: Italy vs. USA

This was probably Italy's worst game of the tournament, but given the facts of what went on in the game, it wasn't fair to judge the team... The game started off quick and Italy scored inside the first 15 minutes through Gilardino's nice header... But then the horror started! Danielle De Rossi elbowed McBride and got a red card in the middle of the first half!! What the hell was he thinking!? I mean why!!!! After that, another unfortunate event! USA crossed the ball into Italy's box and it fell towards Zaccardo... It looked like an easy ball to clear with absolutely no signs of danger written on it, but somehow Zaccardo managed to concede an own goal with no American player even pressuring him!! He was all alone and he shot the ball this way <----- as opposed to that way ----->!!! Talk about World Cup pressure! From then on, the game kept getting weirder and weirder! By the time the second half arrived, USA were also down to 10 men, and halfway into the second half, another American was given marching orders! It was 10 vs. 9!!! Despite Italy's player advantage, USA had better possession, but ZERO shots on goal! The game ended 1-1 and USA went down into the history books as the first team to ever finish a game with a goal scored for them despite having ZERO shots on target! Of course we should expect something like that from such a bizarre game!

Game 3: Italy vs. Czech Republic

Italy needed to win this one in order for them to qualify to the next round, and it was clear that they got the point from the very beginning... The Azzurri came out charged and as if they had a point to prove! In a way they did after the awful performance vs. USA... Anyway, this game was somewhat all Italy... The team kept pushing and pushing and were able to finish off the Czechs 2-0! The sad part was that before the WC, ppl were expecting The Czechs to progress possibly all the way to the final!! They did come in ranked 2nd in the world, so that wasn't a shocking expectation... But with this result, along with Ghana beating the USA, The Czech booked themselves an early flight back to Prague...

Game 4: Italy vs. Australia

This game was supposed to be a walk in the park for the Italians, yet it proved to be their toughest game of the world cup! Australia played the game of their lives and earned everyone's respect after this performance... Although Australia's amazing performance, Italy had its fair share of chances, that was until Marco Materazzi was dubiously given a red card for a tackle that instant replays showed did not even merit a yellow card!! Well as with all the great teams, Italy were able to win despite not playing too well (I do believe that great teams always seem to pull out undeserved wins, and that's why they're great! They can win even when they're playing ugly)... Just when it seemed like the game was going to extra time at 0-0, Fabio Grosso (My new hero actually) dribbled past his marker on the left wing and cut into the Australian penalty box only to be brought down by an Australian defender... The referee awarded Italy a penalty in the last minute of added injury time! Although harsh, and highly controversial, there WAS contact in the play, although slight... But still, under the rules of the game if the defender obstructs ur path and there is contact, then the ref has the right to award a penalty... Totti stepped up and scored and with that, Australia's dreams of progressing to the last 8 were shattered... Congratulations Italia :)

Game 5: Italy vs. Ukraine

I must say, being an Italy fan, I was feeling fortunate to be playing teams like Australia and Ukraine when teams like France were playing Spain then Brazil... Anyway, this is the game where Italy's World Cup took a complete turn... They dominated the game from start to finish, played very nice free flowing football and were even showing off with crafty passes and tricks towards the end... Not that I doubted Italy's will power and credentials to win the world cup, but this game provided me with an Italian ego boost! We're off to the semi-finals, yay ;)

Game 6: Italy vs. Germany

By far Italy's best performance of the World Cup.. Everyone was expecting a German win, as through out the first 5 games they had been dominant and highly entertaining, but we had other ideas ;) Italia played with such will, such determination that left even the most loyal Italians shocked at how their team CAN perform on its day!! The game was tense (Typical of a semifinal between 2 great teams) and there wasn't much flow, as the defenses were up to anything thrown at them! But despite the low number of cleat cut chances, Italy had the upper hand! They were bombarding the Germans with crosses and passes to their towering Luca Toni (Who had a very disappointing World Cup in my humble opinion)... Anyway, the game's first 90 minutes were done, and it was still 0-0!! Would the game go to penalties?! I hoped not, as Italy have been as unfortunate as any in games decided by penalty kicks (They've gone out in 3 of the last 4 world cups on penalties) while the Germans had scored 21 straight penalty kicks up until their semi-final! If ur the kind that believes in luck and history, then u would believe that Italy's chances were getting slimmer by the second! The Italians hit the German bar twice within the first 5 minutes of extra time! I thought with such lousy luck, maybe it was meant to be for the Germans to progress! But the will and determination prevailed again!!! Grosso scored a spectacular goal in the 118th minute of the game (The game goes to 120 minutes with added time) and let me tell u, I was jumping and shouting like crazy!!! Much to my surprise, Del Piero scored another stunner 90 seconds later! Oh my god, I was running wild all over the house!! We're off to the finals!!! Hold on, lemme pinch myself! I can't believe that this is real!!!

Game 7: Italy vs. France

As typical of a final, the game was very slow paced with both teams showing extreme caution!! I was sooooo excited and really believed that Italy would win it!! After 10 minutes Malouda was awarded a penalty and Zidane stepped up and softly lobbed the ball into the net! I was shocked! I couldn't believe it! My dreams were slowly fading!! It's sooo not fair to go this far and then fail!! No no no :( What pissed me off even more is that Materazzi's penalty was not even a correct call! Malouda did a great acting job to get awarded the penalty... I think once he retires, he definitely has a secured job in Hollywood!! Okay, back to the game! Within minutes Materazzi fixed his mistake by heading a corner kick! YESSSSS!! 1-1! Forzaaaaa Azzurriiiii!!! My eyes lit up again and I was smiling!!! The first half ended, and it was mostly Italian... Second half didn't carry anymore goals but it was dominated by the French... Extra time was also quiet and mostly French... The game was heading towards penalties when the whole world got shocked by what happened! In the 113th minute, after a French attack was minimized, and as Zidane was walking back to his half, Materazzi said something that pissed him off, and Zidane turned and head butted Materazzi in the chest! Of course after discussions between the referee and his linesmen, Zidane was given a red card! It was his last game before retirement, and what a stupid way to say goodbye to football!! He lost it in the worst of times!!! The game went to penalties and I really think my heart stopped beating for a few mins! Memories of all the heartbreaking penalty looses of the last few world cups were fresh in my mind! I was scared shitless!! But have no fear, Italia is here!! They scored all 5 penalties superbly!! France scored all but one, by Trezeguet which hit the crossbar!! So as a result, Italy were crowned world champions in 2006!!!

I was in pure ecstasy that day! I don't think I had ever maintained a smile on my face for such a long time! I even think I slept smiling hehe!! That was 10 days ago, and I'm still floating in 7th Heaven!!! Amazing! Italy's 4th world cup! But the first in my lifetime (Well almost... I was a 1 year old when they won it in 1982!!)

I think this amazing feeling is gonna stay with me for at least another month or 2! The best part?! My Italia are gonna stay champions at least till July 2010!!!!


Posted by -OT- @ 9:29 AM, with 2 Comments so far!

Add to the comments

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My Freedom of Speech 2006